Sunday, November 8, 2009

BP8_2009112_Web2.03_DoILikeToArgueOrDebate

I enjoy a good debate as much as anyone. But I hate to argue. There is a difference. Arguing is pretty emotional stuff. People tend to do it either with their hearts, or an uncontrolled temper. Neither of those will lead to an ending that will leave all people satisfied.

I usually won't debate religion. I won't debate with people I consider zealots on any subject at all. If people are going to cry, or yell or throw things, probably better not to debate it to begin with. Those are some pretty basic rules that keep my life pretty calm. I like calm, well, calm meaning not angry. I am all in favor of excitement, happy, and joyful, all of the good things.

I do love to debate a topic with an intelligent person who is not emotionally invested in the topic. Now that can be a lot of fun, especially if both parties know a fair amount about their sides of the debate and are prepared to listen to the opposing side. It makes for a lively encounter, and people can actually learn from each other.

To this end, I have found a Web 2.0 Tool that has actually surprised me more than any other. amap.org.uk is the website where you can find this amazing little tool/widget. I guess I'm amazed because I didn't expect Great Britain to be the birthplace of a tool of argument. I think of England and I think of rational, calm, Harry Potter, Queen Elizabeth. Not people arguing, and throwing punches, which is not necessarily what this tool is for, but I think you know what I mean.
aMap is designed for you to be able to choose your topic and put it out there the invitation to choose up sides. It is possible to buy already created aMaps, or even to sell your aMaps. There are great areas for teachers to find low cost aMaps with critical thinking teacher's packs, and even explanations about logic and reasoning. It's a very creative way to get students to think about current or historical events, and come up with sound and logical explanations for their way of thinking. It is one method for them to begin to understand the world for themselves.

I appreciate the idea behind this tool, but it took me a few minutes to get there. When I first looked at it, I was a little disgusted. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to encourage people to argue more, when it seems like there are so many arguments already. But after looking over the site and reading about the education program, and seeing some of the arguments, I have to say I think it's a brilliant idea. No one is forced to argue or debate, and I think it's good for people to consider ideas contrary to their own sometimes. It can be a learning process for us all, even me.



2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a pretty cool web tool. Recently my school was trying to get a debate team started. We had two students who were interested in doing it, however they were not successful in securing a teacher to agree to advise it. I would have liked to offer my help, but I was not sure of what I would be getting into. I too believe that there is too much arguing going on sometimes and strive to have a status quo, especially at school. I like this concept though because it is non-threatening. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on these, Sarah. I want to look at the debate tool. I love that you started off thinking no, changed your mind, and then communicated that. Great message for all those saying no to Web 2.0 tools to begin with:)

    ReplyDelete